At Archadeck of Salt Lake, we look forward to seeing Trex’s annual outdoor living forecast. You can see this year’s list on Pinterest, Top Outdoor Trends for 2018. Trex compiles insights from contractors, homeowners and industry experts to create their forecast each year. We’re inspired by their ideas for 2018 and hope you are, too.
Overall, for 2018 Trex notes the shift away from “seasonality” toward a year-round mindset when it comes to outdoor living spaces. That’s something we’re seeing here in the Salt Lake area, too.
Trex’s Top 5 Outdoor Living Trends
1. Comfy, cozy, hygge – Pronounced “hoo-gah,” hygge is Scandinavian for coziness and comfort. What’s cozier than plush cushions and throws, protective pergolas and cozy warming features? Included in this category are deck drainage systems that allow you to use the space under an elevated deck for adding a multi-seasonal living space.
How can Archadeck of Salt Lake help you get comfy, cozy and hygge? Take a look at this low-maintenance deck with an oversized pergola, that we built for a West Valley, UT, client. Picture a dining table on one side and comfortable chairs on the other side with some of those plush cushions and throws. What’s your idea of a cozy, comfy outdoor living space?
2. Commercial goes residential – Trex is seeing this in new railing systems with metal finishes and sleek designs inspired by the commercial architecture of hotels and urban rooftops. Homeowners want to replicate this vibe. The Trex example is their Rod Rail, a sleek, sturdy look that offers the view-optimizing aspects of cable railing with a modern, industrial touch.
Our clients definitely appreciate the see-through (view-optimizing) cable rail we used in this Park City, UT, project. Perhaps you will be inspired to select a more industrial rail such as these for your new deck.
3. Hide & chic – This trend is two-pronged: chic storage options as well as privacy solutions. The trend is a combination of function and design: solutions that add ambiance rather than detract from it. Trex and other low-maintenance manufacturers offer inspirations for chic storage options such as lattice panels to conceal the space under a deck and customized outdoor cabinetry and storage solutions.
Archadeck of Salt Lake provided a beautiful and innovative privacy solution for this Farmington, UT, family. How is that for some “hide & chic” inspiration?
4. Fun & games – Again Trex offers a two-pronged trend in outdoor living designs. The first aspect is the inclusion of outdoor play spaces for all ages. The second refers to advancements in technology and storage including manufacturers designing TV and entertainment systems specifically for outdoors because lighting and acoustics are different outdoors.
Here’s an outdoor play space for you! Archadeck of Salt Lake redecked the outdoor living space at this Layton, UT, home and added a beautiful paver patio with a fire pit. If you ask this family’s children, they’ll tell you the most important feature of the second-story deck is their big, yellow tunnel slide that funnels them to ground level.
5. Minimal maintenance, maximum enjoyment. Trex sees a growing consumer preference for using low-maintenance materials in building their outdoor living spaces. We’re seeing the same trend among our clients. Here is an example of a large low-maintenance deck we built in Farmington, UT, to replace an aging wood deck. If you’re thinking of replacing an older deck, let this be your inspiration!
With outdoor living trends constantly changing, you need a builder who keeps up with the latest. Whether it is a new deck, porch, or patio, or all three, we can offer the latest design trends for a custom dream backyard. Call today for a design consultation. 801.683.2355